Article: No. 5 - Detailed guide on removing watch hands in 30 secs - SM Timepiece DIY
No. 5 - Detailed guide on removing watch hands in 30 secs - SM Timepiece DIY
When customizing your DIY watch, removing and repositioning watch hands are basic but required skills. This hands-on process allows you not only to customize your timepiece but also to have a deeper understanding of its inner workings.
Before you begin, make sure you have the necessary tools and workspace set up. Ensure you're working on a clean, well-lit surface to avoid losing small components.
These are tools you need to remove watch hands:
- Watch hand removal tool
- Something to protect your dial. In the video, we used the Bergeon dial protector, but you can take a soft cloth instead to prevent scratching the watch's face.
Next, we have prepared a tutorial video to give you a comprehensive description of removing watch hands.
Step 1: Adjusting both the hour hand and minute hand towards 12 o’clock.
Step 2: Wait for the sweep second hand to run to the same position (12 o'clock) with hour and minute hands, and pull the crown at the same time to stop the second hand.
Step 3: Put the Bergeon 6938 to protect the dial when you want to remove the hands.
Step 4: Using watch hand removal tool in our tool box. It looks like a tweezers to repalce watch hands. Place the hand in a safe spot to avoid losing it.
Please note that the tweezers must be placed correctly in the center of the clock shaft vertically. After putting all the things in the right position, slightly squeeze the sides to close the jaws and remove all clock hands without damaging the watch dial or movement. Now you have completed your work!
Removing watch hands is a captivating process that allows you to take control of your DIY watch project. By following these steps carefully and patiently, you can confidently customize your timepiece to match your unique style.
Watch components can be delicate, and the process of removing watch hands requires precision and patience. Let yourself relax and be comfortable before starting the removal process.
Happy timepiece customizing!
Maintenance and Care Tips
- Avoid Excessive Force: When lifting watch hands, apply gentle pressure. Excessive force can damage the movement.
- Secure Storage: Store removed hands in a small container to prevent loss.
- Regular Cleaning: Wipe the watch face and hands with a soft, lint-free cloth to maintain their appearance.
- Professional Assistance: If unsure, consult our professional watchmaker to ensure proper removal and reassembly.